In winter, hair needs special care, because it loses moisture from the cold outside, and dry indoor air becomes a real stress for curls. Many people still believe that it is not necessary to change something in hair care with the onset of cold weather. This is a fatal mistake that causes strands to become dull, brittle and start to split. How to maintain the condition of the hair at the required level? Read answers to the most popular questions on the topic!
Why does hair look worse in winter?
With the onset of cold weather, the appearance of the hair changes significantly. They begin to break, fall out, split, grow less, lose volume, become lifeless and dull. Such hair is not at all pleasing to the eye! There can be several reasons for this hair condition:
- Dry air. The lower the humidity, the more dry the hair becomes, especially at the ends. But high humidity is also harmful. The worst case scenario is a frosty winter after a rainy fall.
- Cold. Hair follicles are damaged already at a temperature of -2 degrees. In addition, negative temperatures provoke a narrowing of blood vessels, which in turn leads to a reduction in hair nutrition, a slowdown in hair growth, and loss.
- Lack of vitamins. In cold weather, there is no such variety of fresh fruits and vegetables as in summer and the lack of vitamins does not in the best way affect the condition of the hair.
- Protein-energy deficiency. In winter, the body spends a large amount of calories for heating, so it is so important to provide sufficient nutrition to the scalp and the entire body as a whole by replenishing the calories.
- Temperature drops. It’s cold outside, but warm inside. Frequent changes in thermoregulation are a big burden for the body.
Features of hair care in the cold season
In winter, hair is weakened and falls out more than in summer. Many girls, guided by prejudices, stop wearing hats so as not to block the access of oxygen to the scalp. Or they start to wash their hair less often, naively believing that grease will protect hair from frost. But these are all myths! What is the reality?
- Be sure to wear a hat. Enough 5 minutes in the cold and your hair follicles freeze. This is a lot of stress for them, so the hair begins to fall out more.
- Wash your hair regularly and preferably with products designed for care in the cold season and appropriate to your hair type. The following brands have such cosmetics: Estel, Pantene, Avon, Shamtu, Wella and others. To make it easier to rinse your hair, brush it just before you shower. As in other seasons, curls need to be washed as they become dirty. Especially if you have oily hair. Otherwise, there is a risk of blocking oxygen to the scalp due to the formed film. In order not to dry out your hair, apply shampoo only to the roots, and the ends are washed with the resulting foam, that’s enough for them! Co-washing is also a gentle option for washing your hair in cold weather.
- Monitor your health. Not only external factors can adversely affect hair. Sometimes the hair grows dull and begins to fall out intensively due to disorders in the thyroid gland.
- Prevent vitamin deficiency. Remember to include a variety of fruits, vegetables, legumes, eggs, milk, fish, seafood and other foods high in calcium in your daily diet for hair growth and strengthening. Don’t forget about vitamins of groups B, C, A, F, E, Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids.
- Use heat protectants and special anti-static hair sprays. They form a protective film that is essential at high temperatures.
- Give up “dangerous” cosmetics. Henna, hair clay, alcohol-based masks – all these are harmful to the health of hair in winter, as it contributes to their drying out.
- Try mechanical stimulation. Head massage promotes vasodilation. You can also use a long-toothed comb. Gently run it several times over the scalp and you will feel a pleasant warmth.
In addition, try to be less nervous, because stress and nerves negatively affect not only the rate of hair loss, but also the health of the whole organism. If you think that too much hair is falling out and the situation becomes critical, then consult a trichologist, endocrinologist, dermatologist. Experts will help you find out the cause of the loss.
Oily hair care tips
In cold weather, oily hair becomes even more greasy, loses volume, splits. They need proper care.
- Moisturizing shampoo. This product will help regulate sebum production and therefore prolong the feeling of cleanliness in your hair.
- Masks and balms. They are also needed to moisturize the hair and reduce electrical build-up.
- Cleansers for sensitive skin. Fat at the roots is often itchy or irritating, so some people use special cleansers for sensitive skin.
What else can help?
- Try to minimize the use of a hair dryer and iron.
- Wash your hair with warm water, not hot water, otherwise the work of the sebaceous glands will increase. At the end of the wash, you can rinse your hair with cool water, then the scales will close.
- Use sulfate-free hair care products, gentle natural cosmetics without parabens and silicones.
- Get a humidifier.
- Eat more protein as it is the building block for hair.
Properly selected care, taking into account the characteristics of your curls, will not only preserve the beauty of the curls, but also allow you to grow your hair. Stay beautiful despite the cold weather as winter is a fun season. We hope these tips will help you keep your hair healthy and shiny, even during the colder months!